View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay, please don't take this to be me saying it's okay to leave dogs in a car in the summer, it's not okay. There is so much heightened awareness right now here in BC because of the dog walker who killed 6 dogs this way it's getting nuts! As most of you know Halo goes to work with me, and basically pretty much anywhere we go she goes. I don't do malls because she can't come in and can't sit in the car in the sun. Well the other day I had to get dog food for her on the way home, so we stopped at a little strip mall with a small pet store there. Nobody is ever in the store, it's tiny. It was a warm day, but not scorching like we have now. I left Halo in the car, with all the windows open and a bowl of water. I was in the store, which I could have spit on from the car, for literally (truly) not more than two minutes. Didn't have to pick what bag I wanted, just picked it up, paid and was out. Boy did some woman blast me!! Is that your dog in the hot car??? She's crying. I thanked her for her concern, explained to her that all the windows were open and she had water and that she was not in distress from the heat she was simply crying because she couldn't see me for 35 seconds. I again thanked her for her concern, told her I fully understood the dangers of dogs in cars...... you get my drift. I know I did nothing wrong, and I know that other people won't necessarily feel that way, but really, we sat for longer than that on the bridge in traffic and nobody cared about if I was too hot, and Halo did not cry then! I agree it is better to err on the side of helping the dog, but if she had been there when I parked and paid any attention at all she would have known that the dog was not in any danger at all. Let's not attack every person who leaves a dog for 2 minutes in their car - big difference to locking it in the car with the windows up and leaving it for two hours. Thank you - just had to say it.