View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I did a search on "Mini Aussies" and this one came up.

Just thought I'd add my 2-cent as I’m considering the "Mini" Aussie (among others) for my next dog.

I do understand the Mini Aussie is not a recognized breed in any way, and I do not wish to support the "Designer Breeds" craze that is going on right now...

That is why I'm doing lots of research beforehand. I don't want to end up with a sick dog or a dog that has an uneven temperament due to dubious breeding methods. I did learn of one Mini that is fearful of other dogs and humans - to a point - but from what I know, this is not common across all Mini lines.

Here's an excerpt of a text from a Mini breeder, which I think showcases that this person is going at it the right way (although this passage does not serve as a guarantee, as anything can be written on the web. What processes and ethic are actually used is another story.)

"My main focus is the Miniature Australian Shepherd ranging in size from 14 to 18 inches at the withers. In order to keep the correct structure in my dogs, and to add diversity to the gene pool, it is necessary to sometimes breed back to the standard size Aussies. When this is done I can not guarantee the size of the puppies. Also when breeding to dogs who knowingly produce smaller sizes, you will sometimes get very small puppies who do not reach the minimum 14 inches required to be a "mini" Aussie. These dogs are labeled as "Toys". I do not breed specifically to get toy sized dogs, but they have shown up in the past and will again in the future. They are in every way pure bred, they are not crossed with any other breed of dog. They will be registered and can do everything their siblings can do, they are just smaller.

I compete with my dogs in conformation. The Miniature and Toy Aussies are only recognized by the rare breed association at this time, so that is where we compete. I feel that if you are breeding dogs and not constantly comparing your dogs to other dogs of the same breed in the conformation ring, you will not know if your dogs are up to the current standard of quality or not. To say you do not need to show your dogs to know they are quality is a lazy mans way of saying they don't care what quality they are breeding. Every breeder should be able to have their breeding dogs pointed and even obtain championships if they are in a breeding program. To have dogs that continue to show against others and continue to get beaten means that the quality of your dogs conformation (the way he is put together structurally) is substandard and you should rethink it's place in a breeding program."

I'd welcome any other views on the subject!

Thanks!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

2005-... - Gorgeous blue merle Australian Shepherd (since June 2008)
R.I.P.
1980-1996 - My first dog - Welsh Terrier
1994-2006 - My beloved Chloe - Doberman