Thread: Cloudy water
View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
Thanks for all the replies. My well water isn't cloudy, in fact had it tested in the summer and its A-OK. I have a 30 gal. tank and a Whisper 20-40 gal. filter plus an aerator. Probably should get a better filter - have been doing partial water changes every 2 mos, should I do it more often?

Hi there,
what could be happening in your tank is common when tanks go through a Mini Cycle. What youre seeing is a Bacterial Bloom of Nitrobacters in your tank. Doing water changes so infrequently causes your tank to go through a mini cycle. You need to be doing 25-40% water changes, vaccuuming half the gravel in the tank thoroughly a Minimum of 1 time weekly or at the very very least 3 times a Month.

Another thing that could be happening is that youre just seeing how much debris is still in your tank due to lack of proper maintenance. It will continue to be cloudy until the mulm settles. Doing gravel vaccuums once weekly will help remove this excess mulm (poop, uneaten food, diatoms, etc), and help clean your tank up.

Last edited by Sneaky; November 18th, 2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: elaboration