View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Elkhound ramblings...

Yup, I get the Akita comments too. They're both spitzes and share the same shape tail but that's where it ends. Akitas are very different. I also get asked if she's a German Shepherd or Husky mix.

From what I've read, Norwegian Elkhounds are very fond of people, and that has been my experience. The only problem is mine have been TOO fond, as in jumping on them, throwing themselves at their feet, etc. They're 50lb dogs that think they're about 10lbs when greeting people which is why I keep her close around little kids because she'll knock them over in her excitement.

They are VERY independent, VERY stubborn, VERY fearless and VERY dominant. They were bred to run ahead and hunt and encircle large game like moose and keep it there until the hunter caught up and killed it. They would take turns engaging the animal, risking the antlers. My experience is they love to chase anything that moves but won't harm anything unless in danger. I've had both corner a cat then cry because it stopped running, even poking to prompt it to start running again.

Around other dogs, they'll challenge for alpha position. It can be either violent or subtle, but they will do it. Both of mine whenever they entered a place with another dog simply assumed alpha position. I don't see this at dog parks though for some reason, just indoors.

I've read they're hard to train and that's kinda true. House training was easy in both my situations, though. They're very clean dogs so not only are they eager to potty outside but if you have a yard they'll usually poop as far from the house as possible. They do need some firm discipline since they're so headstrong. We rescued Elsa so she needed some firm work initially because she had no discipline and almost no training where she was before. All dogs will reluctantly assume alpha role if they don't have a leader. This is especially true with Elkhounds so you have to be strong and stern or else they'll blow you off like some bratty kid saying, "you're not the boss of me!"

Ok, I've rambled too much. To answer you specifically, no, Elkies are not normally suspicious of people, although they'll bark (and sound scary) when someone approaches the house. Herding I've never seen but I have no doubt if in danger she would take on an attacker like you describe, be it man or animal. I lost the link but I saw online before a home video that an old woman took of her Elkie challenging and scaring off a huge bear that approached them.

I honestly don't know anything about Chows, so maybe you need to also ask a Chow owner or read Chow info, too.