Thread: My poor Robin
View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Hazel,yes it is,I love them,have two and they are in the middle of my larger Perrenial spot,they smell great!!
I don't think they attract more bees than any other flowers,but they certainly attract Butterflies.
Lucky Rescue was talking about Milk-Weed to attract BF but it is a weed and naturally I cannot find any at the nurseries,but I'd love to plant some.
Tell hubby,bees will do you know harm and they are unavoidable if you have flowers,nothing to be afraid of,unless you are severely allergic.
I have a butterfly weed--Asclepias tuberosa, a native milkweed--that attracts butterflies pretty well. And I've planted common milkweed, too--but the common variety is pretty aggressive--rhizomes spread at the rate of about 3 feet a year...if you have fussy neighbors, I wouldn't recommend it!

The butterfly weed gets pretty orange flowers on it--I just planted it last year and I'm hoping that it made it through our long cold spell with no snow blanket in January/February:

Name:  Garden 2006-Butterfly weed in the kennel garden 7-21-06.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  45.9 KB

I have a catalog from a nursery in MN that sells wild stock. They're one of those nurseries that get plants and seeds from construction projects (collect from an area about to be paved for a road, for example) and then grow their own fields. PM me if you want the name--or a description of the plants. (They have a pretty good variety of different milkweeds, ranging from aggressive spreaders to well-behaved sedentary varieties )

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 16th, 2007 at 09:17 AM.