View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Hi jfmcrazy, I work in a spay/neuter clinic down in south jersey. I can tell you that it is a common complication for older/larger male dogs to get a scrotal hematoma. That's why I always recommend having a dog neutered before they have a chance to get too big

Please seek a second opinion. Feel free to PM me if you need any help since you are somewhat local.

Do you know what kind of meds he is on? Usually cephalexin works very good for post-op infections in spays/neuters. Also if your dog is in pain like that even my shelter would likely put him on some sort of anti-inflammatory (such as rimadyl). It's pretty insane that the vet is making you come back all these times, not giving you a direct answer and since this is a private practice he really should be medicating your dog a bit better.

Also, if you have any way of doing so, if you could post a picture of the surgical area I can give you just a general medical opinion, but of course I am not a vet, but have no problem comparing it to some other cases I have observed.

Hope your doggy feels better soon!
Well, we did bring him back to the original Vet. Until this occurred, we've never had a problem with him. He really is a great vet. I think, however, the word has gotten out about him. He's open 7 days a week, you don't need an appt, and his fees are at least 50% if not more less then most vets. Alot of rescue organizations use him (ALS and more) This I know for a fact, as I used to go to someone else. You can call him 24/7 as he lives right above his clinic... He's always available. I've been going to him for about 10 years now...He really does care about the animal. He has not charged me for the 2nd surgery nor the additional office visits, only for the meds.
As for Buddy.. today was a much better day. No bleeding, the swelling is beginning to go down, but he still is favoring his one leg. Buddy has been on Amoxicillian (250mg) 2 times a day since last wednesday, and today he put him on Previcoxx (227mg) 1/2 pill once a day. He seems to be brooding because we are keeping that stupid cone on him for precaution, and his appetite has improved. I gave him can of dog food (we don't ususally give him moist food though), and he ate it all up, plus drank alot of water. He did a slow walk with my husband, and has urinated fine. We think the worst is over, and I thank God for all of you here. I was so besides myself with all of this going on, and not having any experience at all with the neuturing of a dog. We are basically a cat family (currently having 3 as well), but have always had a dog. However, we've never fixed any of our dogs, just our cats. Its so amazing how fast a male and even a female cat rebounds after being fixed in comparison to a dog. I hope this picture comes out. I took it with my camera phone.
He did yelp when I gently picked up his leg to photograph this, but he is taking slow walks with my husband. We have to urge him to get up, but we believe getting him up and walking is better then moping around.
I will definately keep everyone here posted... You all have been a big help.
julz