View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:56 PM

Kidney failure diagnosis - possible misdiagnosis?

My 15 year old cat, Fred, was just diagnosed with CRF based on the following:

BUN of 56
weight loss
muscle wasting

His creat and phosphorus levels were not elevated, in fact, his phosphorus was below normal levels. I thought elevated creat and phosphorus were something that went hand in hand with CRF. Couldn't elevated BUN be due to other problems?

Anyhow, Fred is on the following regimen:

10 cc(mL) fluid subq
k/d canned cat food
Rubenal 75

I tried the subq tonight for the first time. Unfortunately the needles the vet gave me were 22 gauge (extremely small) and it appeared not to be working well. Also, I'm not quite sure how to gauge 10 mL off the bag since it is divided into 100mL sections - a little difficult to eyeball.

Fred is tolerating the k/d cat food well. I bought an electric, filtered, running water tray, but he doesn't seem to want to drink much.

The Rubenal pills are big. I am worried about giving them because they contain Phosphorus, even though his levels are low... I'm not sure what to think about that.

Finally, poor Fred is bleeding when he goes potty. I can smell the blood in his feces and there is blood on his anus. I wonder if this could have caused a high BUN reading, perhaps he does not have CRF after all? I am thinking about getting a second opinion.

I know this is a lot to throw out there, I am still trying to digest everything myself. Any nugget of info would be highly appreciated. I can't imagine a day without my Fred, so any that I can save is all that I hope for.

Thanks!