View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Chronic Rhinitis in cats

Hi members - hoping you can offer some advice.
Baci has had it rough for a bunch of months. He's had months and 4 courses of different antibiotics to help a serious sneezing/cold. More recently breathing became more laboured at night so we were doubly concerned. So for those that don't know him, My (7ish year old male neutered sweet) sphynx just had a full-on general anesthesia involving CT scan and biopsy. Results are negative thank dog and diagnosis is........... chronic rhinitis.

There's one more (expensive once again) respiratory virus PCR test to determine if the cause of the rhinitis might be viral - but so far seems like chronic rhinitis is the diagnosis... and spot antibiotics are the first choice of treatment even though they haven't helped much in the past. But he's cool with pills hidden in soft food.(One of his nicknames is Jimmy the scavenger).

During the biopsy and while he was under they flushed his nasal cavity. It has helped somewhat but even today he again sounds nasally congested and goes through the occasional 15-20 sneezes in a row sneezing fit. Full on snot gets to decorate our apartment at each sneezing fit. Lots of times the snot is chunky and sticks to the walls. Gross - yuck. We still love the cat but gross - yuck.

Also prescribed is flushing his nostrils with Salinex. Holy carp, He'll love that about as much as i like getting kicked in the jewels. And to be honest, I'm not sure we can pull it off he hates it so much...

aside from the now constant congestion and occasional laboured nightly breathing, he eats, sleeps and poops great. He grooms great as well though you really hear the congestion when he's grooming.

So that's our story as of late - any advice? Thanks for listening.

many thx as always!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter