View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:37 AM

two more cents worth...

hi all.

been reading the continuation of this thread, and i would like to say i do think some people were unnecessarily harsh towards nosilia. she did state in her very first post that she had been to the vet, spent $200, but had no answers. she was posting on this board hoping to find help. and, although a few people posted that, yes accidents do happen, she was attacked by one poster who said "there are no accidents!" when it comes to a cat getting pregnant.

i have had the same thing happen to me (paying money and getting no answers or the wrong answers when my cat was sick). vets are wonderful, but they are not god - they don't always have the right answers. i spent oodles of money last year on one of my cats, being told she had really bad asthma. she was seen by a "fill-in" vet at my regular animal hospital, who gave her the wrong shot (short-acting depo-medrol) - and he had patsy's chart right in front of him! she is seasonally asthmatic, and needs the long-acting version of the shot once per year. since i was unaware that she had been given the wrong shot, i watched patsy struggle to breath for a week and a half - i even ordered a puffer online (which sits collecting dust in the closet now). many calls to the vet and trips to the emergency room later $$$$$, my regular vet came back from vacation, realized the error, and gave her the correct shot (i honestly thought she'd put patsy down, as her breathing had become that bad - the wheezing made me shudder). i couldn't believe i was taking home a live cat! by the next day, she was worlds better.

then again, this year (my reg vet was away again), i was warned by "fill-ins" she probably had a blockage in her bowel. they ran the gamut of tests: bloodwork, xrays, then barium and more xrays $$$$$. then my regular vet came back, and said there was no blockage in her system - that the original xray showed an empty bowel, for god's sake. she said her white count was high in her bloodwork, so she believed she had an inflamed pancreas, and it settled down with meds and a change in diet.

all i'm trying to say, people, is that diagnostics are very expensive these days. i'm luckier than most - i can afford it. but even i don't like paying hoardes of money to vets who are missing the mark. i thank god for my regular vet, because she knows her stuff. there are plenty of vets out there who have misdiagnosed my cats and charged me lots of money while doing it.

tracy