View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Bastien, Bully will love you for building him a house. I take it you don't have a fenced yard though? Be very careful about tying him up outside when you are not home. He is a beautiful dog and of a breed that many people would be happy to steal. Don't want to rain on your parade, but I would not be leaving him tied out alone. Ever. If you are home that's one thing, but otherwise, think twice.

If you search building a dog house on the net you will find lots of sites that have good ideas. Ventilation is very important, as is shade so it doesn't get too hot in the sun.

I know our building supply store always has dog houses outside that you can buy a kit kind of thing for. If you looked around at your supply outlets you may see some as examples to give you ideas.

I think size is very important also, you want it to be roomy enough for the dog to move around, but if he's using it in colder weather you don't really want it so large that he can't stay warm with body heat and such.

My hubby built a couple for our dogs several years ago and honestly, they barely ever used them - they're great dog houses though and heavy as all get out because like you he used serious materials and shingles, etc. Moving them from one site to another is a major effort.

Good luck to you, but please be very careful if you plan to leave Bully outside with nobody home. Now that I think about that, we've actually had people in our neighbourhood posing as SPCA officials and stealing dogs that were left out in yards unattended!