View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
If Spanky is licensed with the city, you probably have an "I Heart My Pet" card. If you show that when you shop at Fairplay on Memorial and Kensington Rd N.W., you get a 10% discount on all purchases (make sure to show the card before they start ringing stuff through). They have a great selection of freeze-dried 100% meat treats from Pure Bites and Whole Life, and also carry Wellness, Weruva, Addiction, Almo, Natural Balance, Go! etc. wet food. Check out the I Heart My Pet link for other businesses that offer discounts. You can easily pay for the cost of the licence with all the savings, and the licensing fees go towards funding the SNAP spay/neuter program.

And lastly, if you're ever interested in trying Spanky on a bit of raw, Tailblazers is your ultimate shopping destination. They stock Red Dog Blue Kat, one of the best frozen commercial cat foods available (the buffalo or venison flavours are super low in phosphorus, but need to be supplemented with a calcium source if fed regularly). Natural Instincts is another excellent choice for CKD kitties.

Hope some of that helps!

I've never had Spanky licensed. Just never got around to it! He has been an indoor cat for many years now as I don't live in a "cat friendly" neighborhood.
There is a horrible woman that lives a few doors away from me that has been known to trap neighborhood pets and turn them over to the city. I was thinking about not doing it due to his advanced age but maybe I should.

My last visit to pet planet they gave me a sample of Natures Variety Instincts Raw chicken bites. I have no clue how to feed it though!

I was thinking I could try it in addition to his wellness food. Just don't know where to start really. How much to give him, how long it can sit at room temperature etc... There seems to be alot of debate regarding raw food.
I spoke briefly with one of the cat clinics in town and they told me that they do not recommend giving an older cat a raw food diet. Don't know why though!