View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Animal lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
For one, has mom been tested for FeLV & FIV? And has she had any medical care like shots or deworming?
Yes, she has been tested for FeLV/FIV and came back negative. The vets did not recommend any shots or deworming until the kittens were older. We suspect Chloe belonged the woman who called the bylaw, at least the officer thought that she was lying just to get rid of her and the kittens. She is a happy and healthy cat with no signs of a "hard life". The vet said that the mom and the kittens all looked very healthy when they saw them on Wednesday.

Quote:
Get some Kitten Nutrical for the little guy too, and using a 1cc syringe I'd give him .1 or .2 twice a day to help add some additional calories. Ask the shelter what brand of milk replacer they use, most places use KMR by PetAg but there are other brands too that I can't think of offhand.
Is the Mammalac not a good option? That's what the vet's office suggested in case one or more of the kittens started to go downhill. Also, how many times a day should I be feeding Sprout separately? She settles down to feed everyone as soon as we walk in her room, we see her feeding them quite a bit. Should I be taking him away from her while he's trying to get milk from her?

Quote:
How do you feel about needles? Is there anyway you can ask the shelter for a bag of Lactated ringers and some needles & syringes to give fluids to mom and perhaps the little guy if need be?
I'm fine with giving needles, if I get the Lactated ringers do I inject it just as I would a vaccine?

About telling them apart, I've only had them for 2 days but I can already see subtle differences in the kittens. Sprout is obviously the smallest so he is easy, some of the tabbies have brown noses and some have white eyeliner without the brown nose, and, of course, some are male and some are female lol. It will take me a while to get used to everyone and to pick out names for all of them without getting confused.

Thanks for your reply!

Jill
Colby - 1 year old DMH
Rudy - 1 year old DSH
Domino and Daisy - 6 month old DSHs
Cooper - 3 year old Yorkie
Max - 2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
and countless other foster kitties along the way!

R.I.P. Baby, the best kitty ever
R.I.P. Anthony 'Three Tails' Gambino aka Tony - Betta