View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
If the breeder's web page is any indication, they look like a very good breeder, quite careful. Their dogs would be expensive, but you'd probably have a good chance of getting a very fine quality dog.
All the curly coated retriever breeders I've googled up look good (testing with CERF and OFA, being choosy about where their puppies go), but I like that breeder especially. I've actually been talking with someone in western Washington who has one of her dogs. She's also on a retriever message board I found, so I also get an idea of her practices through her posts. Visiting would be ideal, maybe I can arrange a trip to New York at some point. There are other great breeders, too, the nearest ones being in California. (Quite a few in CA, actually.)

Quote:
Cute pics of the puppies, will you be getting a black or a choc. ? Or maybe one of each?
Well, I'm always partial to black dogs! But if the breeder pup who's brown, I won't mind.

Quote:
I was just looking thru Petfinder and found alot of curly-coated retriever on their site from around your area...I know you want one from a breeder, but these sure are cute..
I've been checking Petfinder too, but haven't seen any curly coats . . . They do have the occasional curly mix, but the AKC agility trials (which are the only agility trials I've found nearby) don't allow mixed breeds. The AKC was considering changing their rules, but so far haven't, bleh.

Quote:
Good for you!! I love hearing about people who RESEARCH their dog breed before hand, and find a REPUTABLE breeder....
Thank you! It was veeery hard narrowing it down after I got down to a couple dog breeds. But the curly coats have a nice, easy to maintain coat, are a bit more reserved with strangers than goldens and labs (while still being polite), generally get along with other pets, and have a goofy, independent nature. I don't want a dog with as many protective instincts as a doberman or rottie, but as a woman living alone, I appreciate the watchdog aspect.