View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Mommy to many "children"

I am not a backyard breeder!!! I take offense to that.

But at the same time, I really value and appreciate the responses I've gotten. I agree about spaying and neutering, the overpopulation in this world of dogs and cats. I've volunteered at a cat shelter....believe me, I know what you are talking about!!

I spoke with my husband about the issue last night. He said that I have to decide what to do about fixing Puffles since she's my dog, but that he leans toward spay/neutering (?) her.
I examined my heart and mind and can find no logical reason to breed her. I am not in the business of breeding, have never been, and have no intentions of starting one. So, by deduction, my only rationale for not fixing her would have been to breed her and make money off the puppies. And that does not bode well with me at all. I don't want to make money at the expense of my sweet Puffles!
So I'll call the vet on Monday and make an appt. for her to be fixed. But I do believe, just on the limited information I have, that we should wait until after this heat is over. Her uterus is already going through some changes right now. I think the surgery can keep until the heat is over. There's no rush anyway to get her fixed any sooner, as I am taking all the precautions to keep her physically safe right now.

Yesterday we set up her own bed area in the bathroom. I've attached a photo showing part of the bathroom area she's got to herself.
She's not liking it one bit!
She's also holding her urine. She has yet to go to the bathroom on the puppy pad today while in the bathroom. When I let her out into my office next door, she runs to a corner and acts like she wants to pee. I pick her up, put her back in the bathroom, and say "go peepee." She doesn't pee. I guess I figure eventually it's got to come out, so leave her in there until it does!
Then I'm allowing her just in the kitchen area adjacent to the bathroom so she's able to still run around. I also play fetch with her to get her exercise.
George is either outside or in his pen area in the garage. Whilst we bring George in and out, Puffles stays closed in the bathroom.
Does that "jive" with everyone's recommendations?
Attached Images