View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Ugggh, I can't believe that someone would suggest to you that you have Racy put down!!! What is wrong with these people?? If you talk to any "professional" dog trainer they'll tell you the same thing---RACY WILL ADAPT! It may be difficult for her at first and hard on you, but with patience, love, kindness, understanding and praise she will excel!!

Heather, I've been training dogs for years. I used to only breed Daschunds, standard, smooth haired. Daschunds are difficult dogs to train, especially housebreak. Yes, you're absolutely right that Border Collie need alot of physical and mental stimulation but you CAN provide that for her even in confined quarters.

Start putting her in whichever room you choose while you are in the house, with her toys and whatever else you plan to leave her while you're out. Go to another part of the house for 5 minutes. If she begins to bark, cry, whine ignore her, but the minute she stops this behaviour, go into the room and praise, praise, praise. Build her up gradually to where you actually go outside for a walk and leave her entirely alone in the room and repeat the praise when you let her out. Believe me, I promise you she will adapt but this takes time.

Another trick for dogs who have lived with other four footers and are suddenly withdrawn from the pack, is to place a mirror at her height onto the wall of the room she will be staying in. It actually provides "life like" company.

As for allowing dogs in your bedroom--well, that's a personal decision each dog owner must make for themselves. I will tell you that I've never had a dog yet that didn't sleep in our bedroom AND they still respect us as the LEADER!!

The property issue--if it's already fenced great. If not you can either think about fencing it in for her, purchasing the "Invisible Fencing" which is quite cheap compared to building a fence or training your dog to stay within the confines of the property through TRAINING. Walk Racy, on a leash around the perimeter of the property. If she pulls over that imaginary line, pull her back quickly and say "ahh", the second her feet are back on "home ground" say "good girl Racy" and keep repeating this process over and over. Racy, being an intelligent Border Collie will catch on quicker than you might think.

My two sons and I were also present while Shadow and Nellie were being born. Their mother (Shadow) and their father (Ted) were quite accommodating to us. My youngest son named Shadow after their Mom. Our oldest son named Nellie. Anyway, we too visited Shadow and Nellie from day one, until we brought them home at 7 weeks of age. Our boys had taken a small piece of blue and red ribbon to tie around the pups neck so we'd know which were ours each day we went back. It was so nice to see the Mom herding all those pups and making them behave. Shadow and Nellie will turn "2" on April 15th.

We also have two indoor, male, neutered cats. Snoopy is 7 years old and Sylvester is 8 months old.

People laugh when I tell them I have two boys, two dogs, two cats and 1 husband!

Anyway, think about what I've said and please give Racy a chance to prove to you what she can do!!

Good luck, I'll be thinking about you.