Thread: Sock-eating dog
View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Sock Problem...

First of all it is very important to keep the socks AWAY from the dog for her OWN saftey. As mentioned I know of MANY pups who have had to have surgury to remove pieces of sock that was blocking thier intestines or wrapped around something in there. Try finding a new place for the hamper like in a closet that is off-limits for her. You must make sure that socks ALWAYS get put in there and do not get left anywhere around the house. If you want to have a happy healthy dog then you are going to have to be committed to making changes to your life that work around having them.

I do not mean to sound so hard but I just hate to see people take on pets and not do what ever is neccesary to keep them safe. NOT that you are doing that. I can tell that this problem is really bothering you and you WANT it to stop.

I would suggest that if she brings you a sock give her a strong "NO" but nothing more aggressive than that. Also you may want to mix cyan-pepper and water and spray it on the outside of the laundry hamper. OR buy some of the "no-chew" sprays that they sell at the store and put it on the outside of the hamper if that is where she is getting the socks from.

When we got out youngest, it was the best day in my life b/c he likes to chew socks so that gave my husband a REASON to use the hamper instead of the floor his dirty clothes...

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US UPDATED!