View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

We had a really rough night, but hopefully the worst is past now. It's 1pm, and he's finally sleeping for the first time. Right after I posted at 4am, he got even more agitated and kept whining in this voice I have never heard from him before. Scared me! He wanted desperately to go outside, but then wouldn't do anything and come right back in again. We went in and out about five times in a half hour and finally around 5am, I opened his doggie door for him and plopped down in one of the deck chairs with a blanket to make sure he didn't try to eat any more of the bug stuff. It usually dissolves within 24 hours, so should be gone by tonight. I'll check to make sure of course. Anyway, we stayed outside for almost an hour where he would run inside, drink tons of water, run outside and pee and then run around in mad circles around the yard, all hyper and whining. Just kept doing this over and over again. Just when I was finally about to call back the vet, he squatted down and went...and went....and went. After that, he was suddenly happy again. So back to bed we went, around 6ish or 6:30ish, only to be woken up at 7am and again at 9am to repeat this routine. Tons of water, tons of peeing, running, running, running until he finally squats to go. The last time was around 10:30, then he threw up once after that. Now he's sleeping finally and seems content.
The vet thinks it was the charcoal working through his system. After I dropped him off and left, they had given him some more activated charcoal hidden in dog food. (I didn't know that before! ) Apparently it's to absorb anything else possible left in his system. But kidney damage is also a possible outcome of this poison, so I have to take him back in for tests to his regular vet on Tuesday or if this doesn't stop, then back to the emergency vet later today. But it's been almost 3 hours since his last attack, so I'm tentatively hopeful we're in the clear now. UGH, what a night! Thank you all SO much for your support and advice. Even in the middle of the night, you guys were here! Thank you!!!

Last edited by Smiley14; May 27th, 2007 at 01:32 PM.