View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:56 PM

I found this from 2007, so provided this information is still up to date I guess I know how long to test each new food. I only have Roxy on the Iams food for 5 weeks, so that was probably not enough. Too late now I guess, she's already into the new Acana food. I will be sure to keep her on the Acana for a minimum of 8 weeks before making a decision unless of course she gets considerably worse! I don't know why they call it Acana Lamb & Apple, should be Lamb & Oats imo.

Oh, I have to remember to not give Roxy any of the chicken treats I have! I will have to buy some lamb treats with no fish in them...or just use kibble. Yeah, there's an idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
The protein complexes stay in the pet's system for 6-8 weeks. Therefore a minumum of 8 and usually of 12 weeks is needed on the food in order to assess response. It is important that during that time, nothing else if fed to the pet. Ask your vet as to which food they recommend if you are interested (there are both commercial and home cooked diets available).
Btw, here is the ingredient list for the Acana Lamb & Apple:

New Zealand lamb meal, steamed oats, peas, sunflower oil, de-boned New Zealand
lamb, red delicious apples, natural lamb flavor, flaxseed, alfalfa leaf, pumpkin, turnip
greens, cranberries, saskatoon berries, organic sea vegetables (kelp, bladderwrack,
dulse), burdock root, marshmallow root, juniper berries, fenugreek, sweet fennel,
angelica root, sea buckthorn, chicory root, stinging nettle, red raspberry leaf, milk
thistle, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, Lactobacillus
acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

Vitamins (vit. A, vit. D3, vit. E, niacin, riboflavin, lysine, thiamine mononitrate, vit. B12,
pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin). Minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese
proteinate, cobalt proteinate, copper proteinate).
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie

Last edited by Myka; January 5th, 2012 at 02:15 PM.