View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:38 AM

Another fast eater/diarrhea stinky kitten thread

Hey all, you've been such wonderful help to me before, I know this is the place to get some good help.

I'm just not sure which advice to take...

My new kitten is about 10-12 weeks old. I got him from a lady who had the mother and father and 4 kittens to give away. I believe they were indoor only cats but that might not be true. Since I've had him he has been a insane eater, cries like crazy when he's hungry and STINKS. Very gassy and lots of runny poo.

I originally started feeding him about half and half Royal Canin Baby canned food (has grain in it) with Orijen 80/20/0 kibble (no grain, high quality protein, free run, wild caught, no preservatives...yada yada...)

When I took him to the vet, the vet said to stop feeding him the wet food (yeah I know but maybe that was for the best as it has carbs in it). He was dewormed and given first shots.

The vet didn't seem terribly concerned about his gulping of food and gassiness (I realize now that gulping can = farting).
I told him that sometimes he eats so fast and poos so quickly afterwards that I've seen whole kibbles in his poo. He said, 'well he's been completely dewormed (he was given that new one through the skin on the back of his neck one shot deal thing, the name escapes me atm) and if this doesn't stop in a week or so, we may have to try something else (ominous words those) but some cats are just like that.'

Riiiiight.
I am not overly confident in what his 'something else might be' and I don't want to pay for unnecessary treatments and/or tests, really who does?

Switching to dry only seemed to help, but now I attribute it to feeding him less, I was overfeeding him, d'oh!

That was about 2 weeks ago. He is still insatiable, loses it when he hears my other cat eating, (I've had to break my no counters rule for her so she could actually get a chance to eat. Also have to lock him away when I feed Gracie my little dog.)
I have tried freefeeding and restricting food limits both and it doesn't seem to make a difference. He seems otherwise healthy and active, does not drink excessively... just REALLY freakin' hungry.

I poked around here a bit and saw that probiotics are recommended, wet food only obviously (although I do think the Orijens is a pretty good product personally) possibly some digestive enzymes...

OR
that he needs to go back to the vet for more testing. Actually he was never tested, the vet told me that this stuff they dewormed him with was new and kills everything. (True?) I even had a fecal sample with me but they didn't bother with that. They also said I did not have to come back in X number of days to get his stool checked because it WOULD work. This was entirely new to me, but he is a new younger vet with new ideas that took over the old place I went to.

What to do first????

He is due for his next shots soon should I wait and bring a new sample then?

Should I find a new vet?

Should I be concerned that he might have something contagious to my other cat and dog?

Should I try the probiotics or enzymes? Yogurt?
If so can anyone recommend a place to buy these in Edmonton?

Should I just switch to a higher end canned food such as Wellness? I'm kinda scared to do that for fear of the switch making it worse.

Thank you for taking the time to read this very long post!

His name is Monkey by the way... and he's adorable, of course.