View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that they DO a great job about setting an example for the time they have allotted and the points that they want to get across. Sure, maybe not everything we'd like to see is always shown, but again - tv show - on Slice Network for crying out loud. This is not National Geographic or Biography, we're talking about here.

I also have MANY clients that come to me saying : "I've been trying this thing that Ceaser does," or "I've been working on the same thing that Brad does," and yet when I have them explain to me how they're carrying these methods out - it's obvious that it's being done wrong. Not only because of the wrong body signals the owner is giving the dog while attempting to carry out a certain method, but because they have not previously consulted a proffessional. They have watched something they have seen on tv, and whether or not people want to believe it - the actual method carried out is not always explained in full detail to the viewers - therefore, how can we expect to know EXACTLY whats happening when we are not physically there, or previously instructed step-by-step?

I watch the Chop Shop on the Slice Network, but you don't see me attempting to cut hair do you? (And whoo boy, I would feel bad for my client if I did! )

If someone carries out a training method they've seen on tv with bad results, then it is absolutley no ones fault but the owners. Both Ceaser and Brad make it clear that owners MUST consult a proffesional (as you pointed out) in order to correctly work with their dogs behavior.

I also highly disagree that the best time to get a dog is BEFORE children. (As a trainer, I'm not sure where you got that information?) Often times a dogs behavior can change for the worse when a new baby is introduced into a family; and if they do not consult for help previous to the childs arrival in the home - this can cause unneeded jealousy and a dog struggling to figure out pack heiarchy again, which obviously leads to a dangerous situation or a depressed/anxious dog that will act out in various ways.
I absolutley reccomend a dog to come AFTER all family members are in place in the home. If the dog comes before the baby, then it would be important to know how to carry out steps for the dog at the time the baby comes home.
And as a mother with a nine-month old baby and a five month old puppy (notice - dog came shortly after baby, yes I have my hands full haha) we have taught Kiley from the moment she was aware of the puppy to 'be gentle' and vice versa. I also believe that it's absolutley good for the dog to be tugged and touched all over its body, to desensitize any reaction from the dog in later years towards children. With that said, I do believe it's in the responsibility of the owners to ensure that their child also knows how to respect a dog and to treat it with kindness.

Attached Images

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; March 15th, 2009 at 01:34 PM.