View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Home Cooked Dog Food

On my journey to find a "good" dog food to feed my dogs - who have had one problem after another with different makes of food - I ordered and read 2 books by Ann N. Martin (thanks to the suggestion of LL1) called Protect Your Pet: More Shocking Facts & Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food.

Truthfully, when I started the first one I thought she was a quack but as I kept reading what she was saying started to make sense and after reading through most of them I can't continue feeding kibble of any kind and feeling good about it. (So if you like kibble whatever you do ... don't read those books!!)

Then I sort of went back and forth between RAW and home cooked and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with home cooked. (I have some more books coming about both however so my mind could change again!)

I can't remember if anybody here home cooks for their dogs - what I'm trying to figure out is the amount per day they would eat. Many people seem to say a good diet would be 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbohydrate, 1/3 fruit or veggies but how much??

I have 2 60 - 65 lb dogs so I think about half of what I would eat but they also do alot more running then me!

Any home cookers that can shed some light on that part of it for me?

Thanks =)
Leslie