View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2015, 01:06 PM

Hi ClairMo:

Have you given any thought to going to another vet? We know it costs money wherever you go.

I had a similar situation with one of our kitties when she was suffering from upper respiratory problems. Our vet at the time, prescribed L-Lysine and you can get it either from the vet clinic or from a health food store. The vet had a gel in a pressurized tube which delivered a measured dose. The health food store it would be a capsule. If I had to do it again, I would be inclined to try the gel from the vet's office. It was a lot more expensive - perhaps $35. a tube - but would be more flavoured to the cat's liking I would expect. The NOW brand that I was using was 100%, and has a slight salty taste to it
(checked it out last night for taste).

If you decided to go for the capsules, start with a small dose and work up - about 1/4 capsule twice a day sprinkled on her NOW food. NOW food is a good food - I've used it.

Personally from the response from our vet at the time, that there isn't really much can be done for upper respiratory, other than using the L-Lysine, keeping the animal stress down.

You were mentioning the diarhea and upset stomach. It's the side effects of the Doxy med as you suspected.

My feeling is that the vet is suspecting upper respiratory and that's why the vet is using L-lysine treats.