View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Smile

The last time we had a pup-aged dog was a while ago, but I do recall she went nuts for 'pigs ears', among other things. I would not repeat that mistake; we let her chew on the couch (our Second Hand Chic?? furniture), which made a permanent mess of our poor sofa :sad: , and we later read that some or many? rawhide/animal part chews are at some point soaked in a solution containing arsenic etc...sort of like the tanning process for leather?

We found Kongs to be great, as well as a line of bone-alike chews by Bite-a-Bone , which eventually got hard to find in Canada, but they were great. You could buy different 'hardness/softness', and our 2 dogs chewed them for years (each one lasted 6 mo. to a year +, depending...). Nylabones were recommended also, but we found our larger dog in particular just ate them!

Good luck with the chewing: one thing we discovered-also a little on the late side!-was not to give a pup a lot of chew toys, as they can then get the notion that it's okay to chew just about anything (our larger dog had to be crated if we were out until she was almost 2, as she'd grab anything and go to it i.e. toilet brush ewww/soap/hairbrush/shoes etc.).

If I was doing the pup/chew thing again, I'd definitely stay away from rawhide etc., and limit the toys to one or two!