View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your new family member! Your dog sounds great!

To help rescued dogs feel secure in their new home, one of the most important things is routine. For dogs who often never knew what was going to happen next, it's very comforting for them to know when to expect meals, walks, playtime, etc.

I would also suggest a basic obedience course. This is great for bonding and for giving dogs confidence.(Although Rotties don't seem to lack in that department!) In fact, Rotties can be dominant, so training is very important - as it is with any dog. It would be great if your youngest child could go to the obed. classes.

As for the cats. If you have no idea how this dog is around them, I would keep him on leash until you do know. If it appears that he will not harm them, what I do is put a baby gate up on the cats' room (or wire the door so it opens only wide enough to admit the cats) This way, the cats will know they have a "safe place" to retire to and will give them more confidence. Let them come out in their own time, and never try to force them to go near the dog. Never let the dog chase them.

Another member here has experience with Rotties and can give you more specific advice.

Second hand dogs are great!!