View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:12 AM

I think I would drop the 'go to your pillow part of it'. It seems like if she barks, you respond by doing something (meaning I bark something happens). I would just implement my routine (feeding, bathroom, walk time, play time etc..) on a consistent routine (as much as possible; I realize life is not 100% scheduled) and try not to give any reaction to her barking. And when we do start one of those activities. for example feeding, I would just stand with the bowl in my hands, if she was barking, and patiently wait for the barking to subside (they do tire themselves out barking) and the instant it subsides drop the food. Same as the walk, I would pick up the leash, if any excitement starts, I would just stand patiently for the excitement to stop, and the instant it does, say 'good job' and put on the leash. I know you said you ignore; I wouldn't exactly ignore; I would give her my full attention; By standing, facing her squarely, and looking at her; If it was just random (we are not going for a walk or whatever), I would wait 'patiently', not frustrated or angry, and wait for it to subside and then treat the instant it does. I think its just clearly communicating what you want. Basically I have implemented that with my dogs, (I only do things when they are calm), and I try not to use any voice b/c it ads to the excitement; I just stand there and wait, till I get the state of mind that I want ; which is relaxed calm submisstion to the activity. I will let you know that I do not really have barking high energy dogs so I am sure your wait is longer than mine - English Bulldogs