View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm...so many choices. I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I'd probably go with a Maple, I don't think they're messier than any other tree, they all lose their leaves in the fall. If you're in a moister spot, go with a red maple, if you're in a higher drier spot go with a sugar maple. Don't be fooled by the crimson king Norway maple, it's not native (alot of people confuse it with a red maple because of it's red leaves). Trembling aspens are nice, but they are fast growers and can go into decline very quickly as well. I like Hackberry, they have really cool warty bark, don't grow too fast and they do get quite tall if given the right conditions. If you're into trees with needles but still want the fall colours, maybe you should look into a tamarack (if you're in a moist area), their needles turn a blazing yellow/orange and fall out, but they're a really soft needle and it's amazing to see them grow back in the spring. Basswood is nice, big spade shaped leaves. I planted a lovely blue beech for my mom last spring, it's a small tree, it gets maybe 25 feet high. I like Serviceberry as well, it's another small tree, they do have berries that birds love, so if you don't like birds then don't plant one of these, it does have pretty flowers though.

If you're not in a rush to get a tree in the ground, you should wait until spring to plant, that way you can avoid buying jiorji's transplant soil . Planting in the spring gives the tree an entire growing season to establish roots and make it better equipped to survive the winter.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??

Last edited by Stacer; June 22nd, 2007 at 07:23 PM.