View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple_hun View Post
My chi now 11months old, has started to show aggression all of a sudden. It seemed ever since i got her spayed, she doesn't trust strangers. Whether adult or a child. I brought her out in public and an adult went to pet her and she lunged and tried to bite her hand as she growled and barked. I couldnt believe she did that. She never used to be that way....the same day a child came up on her quickly and she barked and tried to lunge at him as well. I was so embarassed. I'm thinking she is scared and feels threatened and is trying to defend herself and maybe me as well? I am taking her on her first camping trip and i am so terrified that this will be a horrible experience. I am fearful she will try to attack a stranger. What can i do to let her know this is unacceptable? When i call her she stops and commands me...she knows i am in charge, so she has respect for me. ALso when i leave the home and come back she has torn apart a pillow in agression there too...please give any input here i would grealty appreciate all! Thank you!
The statement I bolded above concerns me. How did the adult go to pet her? Were you holding the dog? Was the dog close to you? Did the adult bend over to pet the dog or get down to the dogs' lever? Did the adult ask permission to pet her first? With the child again, same question. - Was the dog close to you?
I highly doubt being spayed has changed her behaviour to that extent. I would think instead it is more the age she is at. She's in the bratty teenage years where she is going to push buttons. She needs training. Strict training. The way a dog turns out has to do with the training the dog gets. Yes, breed does play a part but - with proper training even a "bad" dog can be turned around. Small dogs have a tendency to be "bratty" if not handled correctly and promptly when misbehaving.
Have you heard of Nothing In Life Is Free training? Here is a website that explains it for you - http://k9domain.org/leadership.aspx There are many other sites out there too. If you google NILIF you will find them. It is very important during training (and afterward) that you are consistent.
One of the most important things you need to do until your dog has realized you are the one in charge, not her, is to keep her away from all outside stimulus. Do not allow people to pet her when you are out with her. Watch for the child running up to her quickly and react to it by turning away. Etc..... When she listens to and responds to you on a consistent basis then you can slowly start adding the outside stimulus.
I'm sure some of our members who have tons of experience training dogs will be along soon to give you more ideas. The important thing for you to do is to start training with your dog asap.

Just to add a bit - the tearing apart of a pillow at home may not have been aggression. It could have been playing, separation anxiety, or boredom. Or it could have been bratty teenager wants to come out and be bad!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!