View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM

I had a salt water aquarium many years ago, and hope to have one again once I have more time to dedicate to it. They are A LOT of work. It requires at least, the very least once a day ( I would reccomend twice a day) salt, PH checks and a water change once a month depending on how well your filter works. The salt is the hardest part because you can't just dump some in, you first have to dissolve it in a bucket of water (the salt container will tell you how much per gallon) and make sure that the water in the bucket is heated to the same temp as the water in the tank (best to do it with a seperate heater you put in the bucket) because salt water fish are very senstive to temp changes in water. To dissolve the salt fully will take at least 8 hours.

They are also a pain to keep clean. They grow algea much faster than fresh water so it must be wiped away pretty often. Salt water tanks also tend to get a film of salt on everything it's near so unless you like white salty film on everything that will require probably daily cleaning.

Salt water fish while very beautiful are usually very sensitive to ph changes, salt concentration changes, temp changes, light changes, and most species have spicific requirments for everything. Salt water fish also require fairly large tanks that are recommended to be taller and at the very very very least a 29 gallon, but as I said not a regular 29 gal it needs to be taller and skinnier.

although salt water tanks are difficult to maintain they are very rewarding and beautiful. I want another one when I can devote more time to it. If you don't mind the work the reward will be well worth it.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat