View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2008, 03:51 AM

Drinking Excessive Water after Cephalexin

My German Shepherd... Liberty... (between 9 and 10 years old?) was given antibiotics by the vet for a hot spot area that she was licking until it was red. I stopped the antibiotic after research on the internet popped up a few people that had undesirable results from this antibiotic.

I started researching and questioning the antibiotic after Liberty vomited a few times and was drinking a lot of water along with someone alerting me that it was ridiculous over-doing medication as the hot spot/red area disappeared after a day or two. Her vomiting stopped and she was no longer lethargic just a day after i stopped the antibiotics. However, she is still drinking and peeing a lot.

She seems normal but she is drinking LOTS. We have three areas where there are clean fresh water bowls and it seems like we have to refill more than one area at least twice a day. She also has been licking the bowl dry which is unusual.

My fear is taking her back to the doctor (as they all seem so happy to over medicate).

Has anyone else had problems with the antibiotic Cephalexin?

Any feedback is welcome! Thank you.