View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:21 AM

[initially, then if our guest is kind enough to stay, he seems to settle down, take food from them and let them touch him a little. BUT...as soon as they stand up & walk, my dog goes beserk again with barking, growling, lunging. He is afraid but is showing aggressive like postures too...tail is out strait, ears alert. He doesn't seem to try to bite them though. I'm starting to think he is just a bully. I'm so confused. Can anyone explain this? Why friendly/submissive then crazy/aggressive when they move?
.[/QUOTE]

I found an explanation (probabaly on this site, but couldn`t tell you where). The basic idea was that the dog gets used to your guest being in one position and when the guest stands up or even changes position, its like the dog has to get used to him all over again. We found this to be true recently when we had a guest staying with us for a week. Our Lola is still very shy of strangers (yes I know she needs more exposure) and it took several days of having this man living with us before she would be friendly with him sitting on the couch, standing, sitting on the porch, etc.

We initially thought Lola might have an aggression problem too, but after living with her for over a year, we came to realize its more that she`s scared of strangers and wants to put on a scary front to chase them off. She doesn`t lunge and growl though, so I have no idea if this may be part of your dog`s issues.

Good luck!