View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Hey guys...

We had about 4 nice days and the boys stayed out all day. And guess what? We had two, wonderfully wore out and well behaved dogs. AND, I talked to her about making both of them sit before giving them anything, even if I wasn’t around. So one evening we were eating popcorn on the sofa and for the first time the young one DID NOT jump on the sofa. He didn’t dig or scratch at her. So I stood up and made him sit, then gave him a piece. After like 10 pieces I say back down. Then she tried to get him to sit and he wouldn’t, just stared at her. So I said SIT! and sure enough, he say right down. That was the first time he’s done that. He always would dismiss me because he knew she would give him what he wanted. YAY!

We had a few conversations and I think she’s seen the light. First off, she said she wanted to get some dog houses so that the boys can stay out during the day even if there's a chance of bad weather. Secondly, and this one really staggered me, she said she'd like to try letting them stay out overnight. Good grief, I almost fainted. I talked to her about crating both of them but since we don't have room, the dog house idea was her solution. WOW. To go even further, I found a REALLY great place that does training, day care, overnight, everything. And they have an in-ground pool, huge play center, just doesn’t get better. I’m getting their records from their vet and setting up an appointment to have them evaluated about staying there. And for the first time we’re gonna go out of town overnight and have the boys stay there. That’s a huge step. She refused to leave them overnight.

So, I bought a really nice dog house that both boys can get into. As it is, they climb into the crate and sleep together so I think they will adjust fine to the dog house. I told her that we need to bathe them regularly since they’re gonna be out more, they’ll smell more like dogs.

Thanks for all the help/support guys. I think as long as she and I can agree on a direction to go, then stick with it, we’ll be fine. I think after making suggestions and then those suggestions working out, she has more confidence and trust in me. And yes, I spent money, good money too so I think that show’s effort on my part.