View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, typically when a dog has a digestive problem I'll fast them for 12-24 hours, offering water (or homemade broth) and pedialyte (I'm probably spelling that wrong) with slipper elm. After that I re-introduce bland food (I use raw chicken, w/o bones, a bit of ground eggshell and steamed yams) in small portions several times a day, continuing with the slippery elm.

If all is well after about 48 hours, I'll go back to regular feeding, though tend to stay away from too much variety for a few days. If, however, there is continued vomiting, no improvement or lethargy, off to the vet we go.

Personally, I would be a bit more concerned because of your dog's age and the lack of improvement over a week.

A few questions. When you say you're feeding "chicken" what does that mean specifically?

Also, I know many people who feed canned sardines, but never the type in a sauce, only those canned in water or oil. That may very well be the problem, rather than the fish itself.

Eating stool can also make dogs ill, and I would think more so if she's eating her own diarrhea.