View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Huggybear,

Has your vet ever taken a sample of the ear wax to see what is in it? I know that a normal practice for most physicians is to treat a symptom, but not the cause. Kind of a band-aid frame of mind. With our pneumonia patients, they will often use a broad spectrum antibiotic, but as with any bacteria it might not respond.

If it hasn't been done, that might be a good place to start. Sometimes, we have to tell our doctors what we want. To save money, you might be able to get the sampling kit from the vet, take it yourself (keeping it from getting contaminated), and then bring the sample to the vet (any vet will do). The vet's office should have a lab or be able to send it to a lab.

A year is a long time to have an ear infection. Otherwise, change vets. I did read on the net, where somebody had used tinactin powder in his/her dog's ears to treat the fungus. I have used the tinactin cream on a cat with ringworm, but the difference being external and internal. Again, that would just be a band-aid, treating the symptom not the cause.