View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2006, 08:13 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
I'll address this first then wade through the rest.

Define screwup?

Is it the husky who has spent his last two years living next door to a bichon and had playdates with it, who then picks it up while everyone is sitting around having drinks and devours it before it can be saved? Is that a screwup?

Is it the Bouvier des Flandes who lived with cats for 5 years then one day decided to shred the two cats to death while the owner was at work?

Is it the Great Pyrenese who decides after having the same dogsitter for two years to attack and scar the dogsitter for life?

Is it the Golden Retriever who bit the toddlers nose off after having lived with children for 5 years through all ages?

All known dogs, all considered well adjusted dogs, not rescues,from topnotch breeders not fight breeders. None screwups IMHO.
I actually agree with (what I think is) your point, BMDlover. Some people claim that dogs NEVER are dangerously aggressive without giving plenty of warning first. The notion is that the owner is either lying about the dog's previous signs of aggression or was completely oblivious to signs that any reasonable person would have seen. I don't think that this is true. I think (as your examples show) that for some dogs the first sign of a serious temperament problem is a serious, dangerous (and sometimes deadly) attack.

In the vast majority of cases, however, I do think that dogs don't kill other dogs without letting their owners know that they are capable of, and intending to do it, however.