View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmgifford View Post
Is it okay to leave out all day?
Absolutely! If it's a really really hot day and you don't have air conditioning, you can rig something up with freezer gel packs or ice cubes underneath the dishes, or even freeze some of the canned itself in an ice cube tray and let it thaw out in their dishes over the course of the day. But it really does take longer than the 12 hrs I've left wet food out for it to become a health hazard, and I guarantee your cats wouldn't be eating it at that point anyway. Sometimes adding a few tsps of extra water slows down the drying out process, if your cats are picky about that.

As for Sam eating too much of his share, see what happens over the next month and go from there. He may self-regulate appropriately, especially as the novelty of getting canned wears off. My vet had an obese (30lb) cat abandoned at their clinic a while ago and all they did was eliminate the kibble, letting the poor girl eat as much canned as she wanted. Without doing anything else, she gradually (over the course of a year) lost half her body weight. She's one of 3 permanent "clinic cats" and the poster child for feeding wet food.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler