View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Today:

Tried to change the box this morning but mother was fairly aggressive, so I simply stayed put for 3-4 minutes, looked at her, didn't touch kittens, then I left.

Spoke to a person who has worked in rescue shelters and explained possibly live trapping mother and bringing the family into a room in the basement. She advised against this, saying that stress on the mother could cause her to freak out and urinate & defecate & basically do damage.

Went back under porch several times during the day, mother was always there. Each time I took a step closer, stayed calm, then left. An hour ago I went again with the new box and quickly did the switch. She watched me from about 10 feet away. I looked at her for a few minutes then I left. She didn't seem as angry and aggressive as during prior visits.

Just got off the phone with my vet who said that he personally wouldn't try keeping her in the basement and that she could react very negatively. His first suggestion was trying to find someone who'd be willing to bottle feed the kittens beginning now. His second suggestion is that I continue visits under the porch as often as possible like I did today, and see if that elicits a bit more trust from her, and try to do this for 2 more weeks... the kittens would then be 6 weeks old. Of course there's always a risk that mother will decide to move them. I can only cross my fingers that she likes the food & shelter enough to stay.

This project is almost a full time job. I'll post developments.
teresa