View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Albert's mommy

Soter:

I hate to say it...but this probably will not work. Even IF you happen to train your dog to stay within a boundary...there's nothing to stop another animal or a person from coming towards him. you run the risk of someone stealing him, teasing him, you can even risk him biting someone if he feels threatened. It's just too risky. I personally trust my dog, it's everyone ELSE I don't trust!!

Like jessi said..with an older dog (which is what i have) you have a better shot..but then you've got everyone else to worry about. I do commend you if you adopt one of course!! So many get left behind at shelters because of their age..So unfair...they come perfectly trained already!!

I have a fenced in yard in my building...at times my mailman or even another tenant won't close the gate door completely. Sometimes if I'm not fully decent to walk out the house, just in a robe or whatever and i let him out my door to the yard...and see the gate open. I know that he will not walk out the gate. I'll still let him out but quickly get dressed and go close the gate.

I also walk him off leash, but I'm very consious of people around us and other dogs that may be on leashes. I carry a leash just in case. Not everyone loves dogs, not everyone else's dog is as friendly as mine...etc. You just don't know.

One common habit of mine was letting him out while I was running back and forth from the car to the house lugging groceries..one day I wasn't paying full attention if he was right next to me. Usually he stays closeby sniffing or doing his business while I gather bags, etc. All of a sudden I turn and I see 5 young kids (10,11 yrs old) surrounding my dog down the block. Mommy instinct kicked in and I ran to him. Two kids had run into my yard and locked the gate door. Albert was coming towards them because, of course, they are in his yard and he didn't understand why the gate was closed...the kids were scared of him. The rest of the kids were on top of a car freaking out.
Need I remind you Albert is a 40 lb jack russell mix?? not exactly screams 'killer dog'!

Regardless, some people are just afraid of dogs. I chased the kids out of my yard, they were yelling 'the dog was chasing me, it was going to bite me'. I tried to educate as well by telling them running into his yard probably wasn't the best way to detract a dog's attention...and if they are so scared of a dog they should just go the other way next time, not towards it.

In the end, I was in the wrong because I wasn't right next to him to protect him. Luckily no one was harmed..but if those kids hadn't been so scared, they could've kicked him or hurt him..

If you must leave the dog out, you will need a long leash with one of those metal sticks you dig deep in the ground...but it stilll leaves him out unsupervised. It's just too risky..too many bratty kids out there, or just plain ignorant people.

Good luck with your future adoption!