View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quick update!

Nookie has had a few probs this last week. He had a bit of internal bleeding and he's slightly anemic again. They're thinking it's still being caused by the pred, even though he's only on 2.5MG every 3rd day now, so they said to just stop it. It's not at a therapeutic dose and hasn't been for a couple of months now, so there's no point in continuing it.

His Thyroid panel came back from Dr. Dodds and he does have a low thyroid!!
Does the fact that it makes me very happy make me a bad mommy?
It does explain a few things. So he's now on Thyroid medication. Hopefully we will see an improvement in his coat/anemia/attitude/weight (he's up to 105.5 lbs even though we have cut his food back!)
Dr. Dodds actually made a note at the bottom saying that his Thyroid levels are below the minimum acceptable levels and are possibly contributing to the seizure activity. Wouldn't that be great if that's been the cause all along? Well... except for the meningoencephalitis, which he's hopefully fully recovered from now. I sure hope the random seizures stop now that he's on medication!

Dr. Marsden is leaving for a month in the middle of Feb and said at some point we need to be brave and get him off the phenobarbital, so we're dropping his dose from once every 12 hours to once a day. Dr. Marsden is doing it this way so that if Nookie starts having seizures again, he will still be here and be able to treat him and put him back on the pheno if needed.

So all in all, we're pretty happy! A bit nervous about weaning the pheno, but it needs to be done. Nookie has been very active since starting the Thyroid meds (and it's only been yesterday and today lol). He hasn't stopped since he woke up this morning... and by now, he's usually had a couple of naps
He's sure been a handful today, and we couldn't be happier

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012