View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM

Cat cough continues after vet visit

My 10-yr old, indoor Siamese cat has started coughing. At first, I thought it was a dry heave but her posture is different than when she vomits. When she vomits or reguritates her food, she's typically sitting upright. With this cough, she laying flat against the floor. She started doing this every night, once or twice, for 2 weeks.

I took her to a local vet clinic (her first visit there because we are fairly new to the area). When she was younger she hurt her back and the vet was not gentle with her. Since then, she's been very difficult to examine. This vet took one look at her and said bring her back tomorrow and we'll sedate her.

They did blood work (all normal except a slightly high glucose level) and xrays which they said were clear. Said they ruled out asthma or other obvious lung pathology. Normal heart rate and rhythm, no murmurs. She does have moderate gingivitis and they thought perhaps she had a bacterial infection caused by swallowing what comes off her teeth. So we went home with a 2 week supply of Zeniquin. It took her a full day to recover from the sedation. They used Ketamine on her which I don't like. We have only 5 days left for the medication. She is still coughing, only 2 days that she has not coughed. If that doesn't work, they want to sedate her again and clean her teeth. If she didn't have the bacterial infection they suspected, why would cleaning her teeth work? Or do they just want more money?

Her behavior is normal in all other ways. No problems eating or drinking. Playful, affectionate, still has the energy and interest to fight with her cat sister. I'm worried that we'll finish the pills, the cough will persist and I have no idea what to let the clinic do or not do. Any advice on next steps would be appreciated.