View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeee123 View Post
Hi,

I just noticed late last night that my cat was having a hard time pulling her hind quarters up into a standing position, and she seems to have a difficult time walking or jumping. She'll walk a couple feet and then sit down to rest, and she's extremely reluctant to get up again. I took her to the Emergency clinic last night and they checked her pulse in her hind legs to make sure it wasn't a blood clot, and she had a strong pulse in both hind legs. They took X-rays, which showed no damage that would explain the limping. They basically just gave her a shot for the pain and said to watch her for a few days and bring her back in if the symptoms persist. This morning she was the same.

She's an indoor cat, so I doubt if there was any serious trauma. She's 10 years old and has always been in fantastic shape - always energetic and running around the house. This is the first time I've ever had a medical problem with her.

She did have a dental appointment a week ago, and they gave her anasthesia. I called my normal vet and asked them if it could have been the anasthesia, and they said probably not because it's been a week. They also did a routine blood test right before the dental, and they said everything came back normal and her glucose levels were fine so it's not diabetes.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Briana
Hi Briana!

Many years ago I read a letter from one cat lover whose young male (I still remember his name, it is Tazz) had the same problem and, after all, it was discovered that he had FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis)! It was of so-called dry form so Tazz managed to survive! But, if your cat is strictly indoor, it is hard to believe that she acquired that virus. Maybe it's worth checking your cat for the presence of retro-viruses? I really hope her disease is not so horrible.

Many regards from Deda Brada.