View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks everyone.
Jake was found in Pefferlaw while out on a walk with his "keeper". It was 7am and still dark when I first spotted them. I drove by once, turned around and drove by a second time to be sure then did a U-turn and pulled right up in front of them on the shoulder of the road. As I got out to confront this man, I was sure of just one thing. I was going home with Jake. I wasn't sure how he would react when confronted but I was prepared to call 911 and tell the police they had better come fast because there was going to be trouble. As it turned out, he was very cooperative and in fact seemed relieved that I had found Jake. Jake was so happy that he was jumping up at me and running in circles. He is normally very calm and docile. The man wanted to continue back to his home 4 houses away and asked me to come in for a coffee. I was OK with that, but there was NO way that Jake was going any further with him. He tugged and pulled on the leash so hard the collar slipped over his head. I had never seen him act like that before. So Jake and I followed him back to his house in the van.

Jake was treated like a king from all accounts. As it turns out, the man lived alone and his dog had died in Aug and I think he was terribly lonely. Over the course of 30 minutes, I was told three different stories of how he acquired Jake so I don't really know what happened. I strongly believe he was the one who was spotted picking up a dog matching Jakes description the morning he went missing. Because there was no collar, he believed Jake had been abandoned and not lost. He made no attempt to try and locate the rightful owner and claimed he had not seen any of the flyers or newspaper ads. That is very hard to believe. My own thought is that he found a new friend and didn't want to make the effort to find the real owner.

I did feel bad for this man and empathized with his situation. He was quite emotional when saying goodbye to Jake whom he named Shadow because 'Jake' followed him everywhere. I suggested he contact the local shelters or rescue organizations where I'm sure he would find a loving companion. Gave him a few phone numbers to contact so hopefully he finds a new companion in need. I harbor no ill feelings toward him. He took very good care of Jake.