View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:45 AM

I LOVE clicker training. I originally learned it with my flighty horse and was able to transfer the training over to both of my dogs.

For me, I can't carry a clicker or keys or anything in my hands when I'm around the horse. Its just not feasable. So I have a specific and distinctive 'cluck' noise that I make. Much easier and hey, you always have your mouth with you I can now 'cluck' to reward my horse from a distance and he knows that the noise means he was a good boy ... he perks his ears up and gets a happy look

Example of clicker training with a dog ... ask the dog to sit. Dog sits, cluck noise and treat. Once the dog gets the idea that the noise means a treat ... start weaning the treats off. Make him work harder for it ... only give him a treat every few excercises instead of each one. But *always* cluck when he does the action that was required.

The trick with clicker training is when you get several animals ... if I'm in the barn, I may cluck to reward my horse for going to his stall ... than cluck to reward my dog for not barking at the horse ... sometimes it gets confusing In that case I use the name too ... so that they know who I'm talking to ... LOL

Its a great way of training, I really like it. If your dog isn't treat oriented (as my golden was) I would give her a quick scratch on the head and cluck. Eventually the cluck replaced the head scratch for about 90% of the training time.

So I have had very positive experiences with clicker training! I've used it on many horses and dogs ... although, I tried to clicker train the barn cat and she just sat there and gave me the 'dumb human' glare -- haha!

Good luck!

<3 Owned by a very cute golden retriever; Kassie!! <3