View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
Do you have carpet in your home? I have a shih tzu that had allergies until I ripped every stinking carpet out of my house. You might want to get rid of any air fresheners, use vinegar and water to clean and get rid of anything scented. Like fabric softener, candles etc. An air purifier would be a good investment also. Also the pollen there is different then you old home, so try to limit his out doors activities. If you have to let him use pee pads, let him. If it is a pollen allergy, I would rather have mine do his stuff in the house. You can get fake grass for him to go on. Has your vet suggested a real allergy test yet? I would recommend that would be done. That way you know for sure what he is allergic to. As for the bump near his penis, totally normal. LOL How do I know? I took mine to the vet and had him look. I got laughed out of the office...
Hazelrunpack - Thanks!

Shaykeija - We do have carpets. The problem is I'm renting and I can't just rip up the carpets since it's not my house. we've had the carpets cleaned and that seems to have taken the edge off slightly, but he's still quite miserable.

Did you get an air purifier? the thing is, they're just... so expensive. I don't mind paying if I know it will help him, but the one for the size of my room I need is £220! (around $360 USD)... that's an awful lot. I will spend it if it will help him and be useful, but... if it doesn't help him and is a waste of money it's a lot to waste! Any advice on that? If you got one did you notice a good change?

He trained himself to go outside when he was 4 weeks old, I don't think there's much of a chance of him going inside without feeling so guilty he makes himself sick. He's had ONE accident and he's over 7.5 now, and that accident (totally my fault, he'd been on a plane for 13 hours, on a train for 5 with only a few breaks in between) and he was so panicked about the mess that he threw up and kept putting laundry over it to clean it up! not kidding. He put laundry over it and kept pressing down on it like he was trying to clean it up. I think that would just do his head in a bit too much. It's a good idea, but I don't think it will work.

For the allergy test, tho, I think that's a really good idea, I'll ask them to do that when we go in yet again for the blood test/allergies followup.

For the bump on the penis, thanks. I'll probably bring it up when I'm there so they can laugh me out of the office too... they already think I'm crazy, might as well cover the bases xx

I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better. They fight for honor at the first challenge, make love with no moral restraint, and they do not for all their marvelous instincts appear to know about death. Being such wonderfully uncomplicated beings, they need us to do their worrying. ~George Bird Evans, Troubles with Bird Dogs