Thread: Cataracts
View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:38 PM

Cataracts

My two year old dog was born with a defect called Microthalmia which means small eyes. Her vision is not that great. I recently found out that what I thought was a constantly dilated pupil is actually a cataract that she was likely born with. I spoke with a vet that specializes in ophthalmology and was horrified when he said to fix one eye would be about $4000. That is outrageous. Why can we do cataract surgery on a human for several hundred dollars but thousands on a dog? Makes no sense to me. I feel that vets gouge patients knowing that most people will pay whatever is necessary to help their beloved fur baby. There is no way we can afford this and it saddens me that she will most likely lose all vision in her right eye. It's bad enough that she has a hard time playing fetch because she loses track of the ball and bumps into things due to her already limited vision but it's doubly heartbreaking that it will now get worse and she is only two. Does anyone know if cataract surgery would be cheaper done in Guelph at the teaching hospital? Any helpful input would be appreciated.