View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM
border collie mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealma View Post

Like you said, small breeds get away with a lot because they are our babies. I don't want my dog to be one of those annoying little dogs that is why I want to get on this kind of behaviour now.
I love you for saying this! sooooo many people let little dogs get away with everything, just because they are cute and small and like a baby...they are just the same as a big dog..just smalelr ( if that made sense )

For the barking, have you tried a penny can..i find it very effective, if you havent heard of it, just say and i will give you the low down on it

For greeting properly, your doing a good thing by having people ignore her, try to make sure they dont even look at her, because for dog ( and people too) it is a way of communication.

Also one way i learned at dog school for greeting is put her in a sit stay, and have a person come in to sight. if she holds her stay, give her a treat and praise. Then have the person advance towards you, again if she stay treat. if she has a solid stay they should be able to get failrly close without her trying to break it..each time the person advances and she doesnt move, treat ehr. For the first few people just have them approach, say hello to you, amke shake hands with you ( anythign where you move and your pupper doesnt) and have them walk away..ignoring the dog the whole itme. After she has learned to stay for that, move on to having people start out with one to three pats, and then ignore her. this will teach ok, i get a few pats when i stay still and then i have to stay calm. Then you can move up the amount of pats and attention, and add in talking a praise and however she would normally be greeted.