View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:13 AM

Help with barking.

Good morning, I've read through a number of posts and have a couple of suggestions that may be helpful in your situation. I am a trainer and specialize in behaviour issues. The first suggestion is to think about what you want rather than what you don't want, for example, I want my dog to have some self control , instead of thinking I want my dog to stop barking.

Now that you know what you want, you can work towards achieving that. To do this start by ignoring the barking, don't look at them, don't talk to them, don't join in. When they stop say to them, good job thank you and reward* them for being quiet. If the barking happens at a window you can get between them and the window and block their access. Again, no sound, when they stop barking, reward, when they move away from the window reward. For a few days, reward randomly but often anytime they are being quiet and relaxed. After a few days spread out the rewards.

As it gets easier, delay the reward until they learn to ignore the window or noises for a few seconds, then when that's easy wait for 5-10 seconds before rewarding.

*A reward is a piece of food that is of higher value to the dogs then the distraction, noise, people, other dogs..... If the reward isn't good enough it isn't a reward.

Good Luck!!