View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Cat death by Immediate Onset of bleeding

HI, this is my first post. One of my cats died this morning a minute (s) before I woke up. I have been around a few cat deaths to know that the death was just before I found him. I used to have my own cat rescue and am fairly knowledgeable about cat health.

He is an 8 month old male, healthy, happy, playful, loving right up to my going to bed last night. I found puddles of blood from the litter box, down the hall to my bedroom, and into the master bathroom were I found him collapsed dead in the cupboard (one of his favorite hang outs). I believe he was trying to get to me as we were closer than any human and cat could be. I was truly his mommy since finding him barely alive on the side of the road when he was only weeks old.

I know that rectal bleeding seems like it would most likely come from something he ingested, like a string, but I have been very careful, having a house full of cats and knowing what can happen. The only two out of the ordinary happenings yesterday, were a broken coffee cup that my husband cleaned up and a dead Molly fish that I had removed from the aquarium while working on the tank. I forgot to throw the fish away and I am pretty sure that he ate this 1 inch dehydrated fish body.

I don't have the $200 for the Neucropsy (spelling) to find the exact cause, but am hoping that your experiences and knowledge might give me an idea of what could have happened with this wonderful being. The only other intestinal problems would have been tapeworms 4 weeks ago that were treated and loose stools since a baby, (tried the albon, antibiotics, metronidazole, loperamide).

I just talked to the Vet and she said that it could have been the colon thing , where it overlaps itself or just something it ate that perforated the intestine and that the cat would have been good at hiding the symptoms. This cat and I were like one and the same and I would have sensed anything different, so it is driving me crazy. Could it have eaten something while I was sleeping and perforated it so quickly and caused death so quickly?

I really appreciate any input that you can share as this is driving me crazy.