View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Laval Zoo

IBD Kitty - Food?

Hi All,

We have an 8 year old male cat who has lost a significant amount of weight over the past few months. He has always been a small guy but never like this. He lost interest in food, would walk away from his bowl after a few bites. All day I would place the bowl near him and hope he'd eat it. He'd take a few more bites sometimes but he never ate with gusto like his brothers.

We became concerned and took him to the vet back in February. They took a blood and urine sample and said that everything looked mainly good but recommended an ultrasound since his weight loss and not eating was alarming and definitely an issue. The ultrasound was performed and liquid was taken from a slightly swollen lymph node at the same time.

The diagnosis was he most likely has IBD, or less likely lymphoma, but they couldn't give us a conclusive diagnosis since it would involve a biopsy. They recommended we go the less invasive route for the time being and try different approaches.

This includes:

- Antibiotics which were prescribed for three weeks
- New food (a single protein so we could find something he does not react to)
- We also now give him a weekly B12 injection since a Cobalamin test showed he was not absorbing it.

He's tried Evo Venison and Evo Duck, both which he seemed to enjoy. But when we went back to buy more the week later, we were told (as most of you know) that Evo has been pulled from Quebec (friggin great!).

So we started feeding him Wellness Turkey. He seemed to do okay for the first few days and then, nope, not good. Diarrhea and throwing up brown sludge. So we tried him on another can on Wellness (Chicken and Beef). Didn't help at all. He's hardly eating, throwing up, diarrhea.. it's actually worse than it's ever been! Even before all of the vet visits and testing.

I'm at my wits end here. I have no way of getting Evo anymore (the only food he seemed to do well on!) and I can't seem to find another brand with just Venison or just Duck. While comparing the ingredients in the two Wellness flavors I fed him (Turkey and Beef & Chicken) I realized he may be allergic to chicken since that seemed to be the common ingredient.

I did find other flavors without chicken but they are all seafood and I've heard in the past to try not to feed strictly seafood for long periods of time.

Does anyone know where I can find Evo? If it means driving to Ontario once a month I think I may just do it!

Any other foods you recommend? I'm so stressed. I'm trying so badly to help him and get him well again. I am feeling so defeated and I feel terrible for him.

Thanks for reading everyone.