View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail P View Post
Not legally they don't, with the exception of red fox and skunk..
Sorry I meant trapper trap in every season..meaning they are doing it illegally. poachers are everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail P View Post
As for the drowning issue, I "believe" that the type of traps used for animals such as beaver, muskrat etc. are designed to kill and that having the animal submerged "may" be the failsafe method of making sure that the animal is not left languishing in the trap for a longer time than drowning would take, if they do not immediately die in the trap. In addition, having the carcass submerged would protect both meat and pelt from land predators and prevent spoilage of the meat.
I understand were you are coming from, however from the below regulation it is stating the the animal in trapped alive, then submerged in the water to drown. Drowning is a slow agaonzing death, that I think you would agree with. I guess what I am saying is that it seems to be acceptable to be inhumane and cruel, because it will prevent spoilage of the meat, etc.

b) Set leghold traps for beaver, otter, mink or muskrat unless the trap is set under ice, or it is attached to a sliding lock or a heavy object and set in such a manner that the captured animal would be immediately submerged and drowned. This does not apply to a leghold trap set for mink or muskrat if the trap will sub-merge the animal in water immediately upon springing the trap or the trap is heavy enough to prevent it from resurfacing.