View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Rainbow, the first email I sent was on the 16th of last month. I sent a follow up one yesterday. I'll post here as soon as I get a response.

We noticed a change in Penny's behavior immediately after going back to raw (after nearly a week on Orijen). All the dogs' energy levels had decreased within 24 hours after switching back to raw. I started the 5-HTP supplements about 8-9 days later and we noticed further change in Penny's behavior.

The concern you read about, is that about ESM? I've read about all I could find on it and the cause was traced back to a single manufacturer in Japan in the late 80's. A more recent theory is based on consuming excessive amounts of 5-HTP (ie. in the 1000's of mg). Penny only gets 25mg per day split in two, 1/6 of the human adult dosage. I'm planning on weaning her off in another 3-4 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.
LP, I can't remember everything the article said. I was reading stuff about depression and just remember seeing something about safety concerns regarding 5-HTP but they were also talking about human use and probably didn't want people with depression to take more than necessary. I will see if I can find the article again and post it here.

I find it very interesting about the link between a high protein diet and behaviour that you have been researching. Chase is quite hyper and we always thought it's probably because he never got to enjoy his puppyhood with all the operations and activity restrictions he had but now you have me thinking and I might just switch to a lower protein diet to see if there is any change with him.